Oi tobpinai ngaavi ku id di Tuhan Otumbazaan zou do…
In Paul’s teaching on prayer in 1 Tim 2:1–4, one of the major thrusts is praying for those in authority. According to Paul’s reasoning, we want good government that allows us to live “peaceful and quiet lives” – ultimately freeing us to evangelise those who are lost.
Paul would have been amazed that Christians could someday actually take part in selecting those leaders. I believe he would have been even more amazed (and appalled) that many of those Christians didn’t even bother to get involved in selecting those leaders for the purposes of God to be fulfilled.
Praying for the electoral process is the first step in seeing the fulfillment of what Paul is writing about to Timothy. I don’t believe we should wait for a leader to be selected before we move into obedient prayer for those in authority.
So why pray for the elections? There are a number of compelling reasons:
The Bible commands us to pray for those who are in leadership, which would include those who are vying to become leaders.
Godly leaders can help slow the erosion of religious liberties in our land, providing an increased window of opportunity for the Church to pray and evangelise.
The selection of leaders who understand and lead according to God’s righteous standards can bring great blessing to a nation (Prov 14:34).
Scripture also says, “For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers” (Prov 11:14). The determination of who leads our nation will also determine who advises that leader and how we are guided.
Here are seven major areas to pray for that relate to our national election.
- Pray for our nation and the issues it faces.
- Pray for the Election Process, for wisdom for voters and a safe and fair election.
- Pray for the salvation of candidates and leaders who are in leadership of our nation.
- Pray for the Church.
- Pray for the Media and for truth to be an established standard in our news media.
- Spiritual Warfare – ask for great awareness and discernment as we pray over the election.
- Revival – pray for a Great Awakening to sweep the nation as the Lord’s people learn to humble themselves with a contrite spirit, and to tremble at the Word of the Lord.
We can broaden the prayer effort beyond our own prayers by being part of the 24/7 IN-THE-AIR prayer centres which have flourished across the country, to join like-minded Christians to pray for a fair and just electoral process. For more information on the 24/7 prayer centre in SHC, contact Lucia @ 012-8027255. – reviveourhearts