Ever since the Mill Hill Missionaries came to Sabah shore in 1881 and set up schools for the people, the Church has been involved in the educational scene. At the time of independence in 1963, the mission schools were a major means of missionary work reaching out to Catholics and non-Catholics alike. However, the political change that independence brought along with other factors, resulted in the Church losing control and influence over Catholic mission schools. An Act of Parliament classified mission schools as “fully assisted schools” which came under the direct control of the Ministry of Education and became part and parcel of the National Education system (100 Years of Good News 1903-2003 Sacred Heart Cathedral Kota Kinabalu, 2004) Yet all was not lost. The Church, through the Education Commission (set up in 1971 under PAX) has the power to suggest to the State Educational Ministry the replacement of principals/school heads in the 43 mission schools in the archdiocese.
Education Commission 2019 – 2021