skip to Main Content

padre pioPius, better known as Padre Pio, was born in Pietrelcina in Campania Italy in 1887.  He joined the Capuchin community at Morcone.  Ordained in 1910, he moved six years later to San Giovanni Rotondo in the Gargano peninsula.  Bearing the wounds of Christ’s passion on his body (known as stigmata) he became famous for his ministry in the confessional, his spiritual direction and his miracles.  In 1956 he opened the “home to relieve suffering” near his friary.  Despite his popularity, he faced much opposition, even from church authorities.  He died in 1968.  He was canonised in 2002. – CTS New Daily Roman Missal 2012, p 3013

Back To Top